Monday, October 25, 2010

A Texas Ranger Journey

I never followed baseball until I met Brent. He introduced me to his favorite team, the Texas Rangers.



This was my first Texas Rangers game circa 1991 I believe.



I can't remember who they played or even if they won.



Shelly and Bryan came along too. They were our chaperones and made sure there wasn't any pre-marital hanky panky. I can remember seeing "KKK". I whispered to Shelly "can you believe they have KKK up like that". Brent informed me it was for the strikeouts. Ooops! See, never followed baseball. I was also shocked that the fans booed one of the players everytime he came out. So I asked Brent why do they boo that guy when he comes out. His name? Steve Buuuuuueeeeeechele. Ah! Not booing. Oooops! Again, never followed baseball.



Years later Brent got to take his only son to his first ever Rangers game, circa 1998.



We got there early to walk around the stadium and to watch batting practice. Colton got a ball.



Colton was a little trooper. It was a long, hot day. He lasted until the 7th inning before falling asleep in my lap.



2003 was Hannah's first experience at a Ranger game. She was more interested in the food than the game.



We had awesome seats. Right behind their dugout.



See, close. (Bet Teixeira wishes he was still a Ranger.)

So the past 20 years I have gotten to know the Rangers and the game of baseball. We have gone to games, watch the games etc. He even took me to a game on our 10 year wedding anniversary. It was dollar hot dog night. Nothing says "I love you" like dollar hot dog night. He did, however, paid to have our names put on the board wishing us a Happy Anniversary. I have listened to Brent say year after year that this is their year. They got close a few years ago winning the AL west title for the first time ever. We were at their game the following day. I've also heard a lot of "those sons of bitches I'm not ever watching them again" too but he still came back to them.

And finally on October 22, 2010, a day my sweet husband and many of a Texas Rangers fan has been waiting for,



the Rangers won their first ever ALCS in game 6 beating the Yankees. Beating the Yankees makes it so much sweeter too for people like my sweet husband who HATES the Yankees and everything they stand for. So now on to the World Series. I might need to buy more Tums :)

No comments :