Friday, March 6, 2009

Long before HMOs.....

there was a little doctor in my hometown named Dr. Herrin. I can't remember if that is how you spell his last name it's been so long. His office consisted of two rooms, a waiting area and then his office, that's it. He had no nurse or receptionist. He saw you on a first come first serve basis. My mom would take us kids there if we had a cold and needed a "shot". He always gave a shot along with a Safe T Pop sucker which I thought was so cool.

One time when I was in college I got a terrible sinus infection. Dr. Herrin had retired years earlier but my mom called him on a Sunday afternoon to see if I could come by his house to get a "shot" before I headed back to school. And of course he told her to send me on over. He had everything ready when I got there and like old times I got my shot, but no sucker, and it worked.

I don't know what made me think of him today. I guess because I've been fighting a cold for a week now and it's such a big pain in the butt to get in to see a doctor anymore. I wonder if there are doctors out there like that anymore.

No comments :